Four days of godaddy SSL hell (starfield technologies certificate)
So, i am not writing this to mock godaddy or godaddy resellers or support, this is just a problem that you need to understand before you call godaddy (or any of their resellers) simply to save time and not to have to wait for 4 days like i did
When i submit my security signing request (csr file) to godaddy or wild west domains, the error i get reads
Common name example.com is already present in a current certificate.
The reason to this is that someone (probably you or a previous owner) already issued a certificate for that domain from another account.
SOLUTION: Certificate, or even expired certificate must be REVOKED, cancelled is not good enough, the magic word is REVOKED, when the certificate expires, you can not revoke it, you must contact support and tell them that you need to revoke it by email.
So, i have not taken the time to organize the text below this line yet, if you are arguing about something in an effort to reduce your wait time, see below for whatever you need, but again, i did not refine any text below this line or organized it or even checked that it is correct.
UPDATE: Godaddy wrong again, when i get the time i will listen to the recorded conversation (because my phone auto records all conversations) and tell you exactly what you need to do to not rely on the faulty godaddy manuals, in short this is what happened (as i remember it is close to this)
So, here is what my conversations with godaddy comes down to, not accurately, but in short, what it comes down to (for my reference, the file is godaddy ssl Voice-0003.amr)
But as i start to get skeptical about this resolving itself in a few hours, i will call jet (the very helpful customer care representative) again and see if anything can be done.
Godaddy (Jet): After canceling the certificate, you need to wait for three days
Me: No, i am sure we have to revoke it, and since it is expired, i can not revoke it
Godaddy (Jet): No you are mistaken, after cancelling, we wait for three days then put in a new request
Me: Ok i will wait
I wait for 2 days, then call again as my website is down
Me: are you sure that within 3 days the system will do cleanup, if the job runs once every three days, 2 days increases the odds of what i was saying being right, can you please double check ? my website has been down for two days
Godaddy: no need to check, there is nothing we can do
And after 3 days of still no luck, i call again
Me: hi, i have waited for 3 days
Godaddy (denis): yes sir, for a certificate to get cleared from the system it needs to be revoked, i will have them send you an email so we can revoke it by email.
me: Seriously, that’s what i said 3 days ago
Godaddy (denis): I wonder why they did not do that on the first day
Me: thanx anyways